3e Demonstrating Flexibility 1e: Designing Coherent Instruction

In the past my students took Regents Earth Science before taking my class (Regents Living Environment)...that's Biology for those of you not in New York State. So this year I came across a little problem, when we get to the Evolution unit my students don't have any prior knowledge about rock layers and the Law of Superposition.

law of superposition
1. Physics See superposition.
2. Geology A general law stating that in any sequence of sediments or rocks that has not been overturned, the youngest sediments or rocks are at the top of the sequence and the oldest are at the bottom.
 www.thefreedictionary.com
So, one of my amazing students gave me a suggestion at the right time on the right day. When I say the right time on the right day...I was having a great day teaching and I was hungry. She mentioned how much she loved the Cookie Lab (I'll post it on here someday) and how she thinks that everyone in her clas learns better when food is involved in the lesson.  She mentioned that rock layers and fossils are like Layered Taco Dip and we should do another food lab. Maybe my stomach got the best of me but tomorrow we will be doing the "Layered Rock Lab" part of which involves Layered Taco Dip. 

The recipe I used is here

My handout for the lab is here

Layers of Rock Lab
Here are pictures from the lab today





refried beans mixed with a packet of taco seasoning

olive "fossils"

a block of cream cheese mixed with 16oz of sour cream


salsa

chopped tomatoes

chopped green peppers

chopped lettuce

tortilla chip "bulldozers"



If you do use it in your Earth Science or Biology class, please send me a message or put a comment on here.

originally posted on ballinwithballing.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling Mitosis with Oreo Cookies 1e: Designing Coherent Instruction

Charlotte Danielson in Action

Ugly Sweaters and Vocabulary Review