Friday, April 5, 2013

Garage Door Facelift for less than $20



Since the day we moved in I have HATED this garage door.

It just made our house look so boring.

I have always wanted a garage door that has windows and all of the cute details that adds charm and curb appeal to a house. However those charming carriage garage doors cost some major money and replacing a garage door that works just to buy one that looks pretty seems like a pretty big waste to me.
I read about painting fake windows on this blog and decided that I had to try it. After all, it's only paint.
 http://foreverdecorating.blogspot.com/2011/04/carrige-house-look-garage-doors.html
Before I read her post I had never noticed that garage door windows always look black. So they are really easy to fake.
Her garage doors were already small rectangular panels which lead easily to small square "windows." My garage door is just 4 flat boards which meant a LOT of measuring but it gave me the flexibility to choose whatever design I wanted.

Today was a beautiful early April day by Buffalo standards (43 degrees and Sunny), I decided to repaint the garage door and then add the details before my husband came home from work (a surprise for him). The way I see it if it looks bad, paint over it.

Here's what I did:

#1 measure everything. The width and height of the door, the half way point, half of that...sketch out on cardboard the window pattern because you want the to be 1/4 of the total width of the door and the same all the way across.


#2 repaint the garage door. (If you need to...my garage door needed this step)
with a new paint job (slightly darker than the white we had before)

#3 trace the windows with a pencil.


(I also flipped the template over to make the curves go the other way.)

#4 Line the pencil lines with Frog Tape to get sharp straight lines (best masking tape around) Don't get cheap and buy a different brand. Trust me. Frog tape gives you the sharpest edge.



#5 with GLOSS black paint paint all of the windows and then carefully peel the masking tape.



I think it makes a huge difference. Then I added some hinges. Some ideas are here:

door with hinges

Here it is again:
before
after
before
after



 

 
originally posted on www.ballinwithballing.blogspot.com


19 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. Your post really awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    Unique Garage Doors

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great garage door makeover. Love the stencil idea. I think your doors would look even better with center hardware, but that's just my two cents. Great work, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!
    garage door repairs charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes a huge difference! And you can install a peephole in the garage door if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A torsion spring is under outrageous strain with the goal that it can offset the heaviness of your overhead entryway. Garage Doors Service Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete

  17. Awesome Post, We are a leading garage doors company in Austin providing a wide range of garage door services in Austin, Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park & nearby areas.

    Austin box truck door repair

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you have any kind of confusion regarding garage doors then you can contact with the professionals of Garage Doors Guelph. They will guide you at each and every step. Smart Care Garage Doors

    ReplyDelete