Heart Cake


Thanks to one of my new favorite blogs (iambaker) I was able to bake this heart cake for my Great Aunt Josephine's 91st birthday. I got a bunch of cool tips from this site from how to get cake layers that are flat.
I use these cake pans:

The trick is to wrap soaking wet towel strips around the pans and put them on a cookie sheet when the go into the oven. Now that I think about it, it makes total sense...usually the cake around the edges heats too fast so it doesn't rise but the middle bakes more slowly..and it rises. This results in a big-ol ugly bump in the middle of the pan which makes your cake look a little crazy. Now you know how to make professional looking cakes.

I also used one of the best $2 purchases ever....That fancy little cake cutter. It ensures that you get even layers for frosting.


I am Baker also gave instructions for frosting cakes. I loved this one and with the correct tip, it was so easy! To how to frost the cake with these fancy little roses. Instructions here.
Here is the tutorial on how to make the heart cake. Mine doesn't look as good as hers. Let's just blame it on my camera, OK?



Follow up: some readers have asked me about my cake holder, and lazy susan (which makes frosting the cake easier) they can both be bought here:





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modeling Mitosis with Oreo Cookies 1e: Designing Coherent Instruction

Charlotte Danielson in Action

Ugly Sweaters and Vocabulary Review